NYU is committed to safety, wellness education, and outstanding health care for all members of the University community.
The Student Health Center offers routine and walk-in Primary Care and Women's Health Services at either no cost or very reduced cost to all matriculated students. Wellness, Short-term Counseling (talk therapy) and Crisis services are free of charge.
Health & Wellness Services
NYU provides extensive health and wellness services that address both physical and mental health concerns. From same-day appointments to mindfulness and relaxation techniques, the NYU Health Center can either take care of your needs directly or refer you to appropriate resources.
NYU Student Health Center (SHC)
The Student Health Center mission is to enhance your health and wellbeing in support of your learning and success. The SHC offers universal, hassle-free appointment-based and walk-in medical and counseling services at either no or reduced cost to all NYU matriculated students, regardless of insurance coverage, whether enrolled in an NYU-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan or maintaining alternative health insurance coverage.
The NYU Student Health Center offers:
- Medical Services
- Health Promotion Services
- Study Away Health Services
- Women's Health
- Accessibility accommodations to students with disabilities
- Trans, Non-binary, and Gender Nonconforming Health and Wellness
Click here for a full list of services available at the SHC. To schedule an appointment during regular business hours, call 212-443-1000, or for mental health services specifically, 212-998-4780.
For further information on scheduling an appointment, walk-in hours, as well as preparing for your visit, visit the Make an Appointment page.
Student Health Insurance
NYU requires that all students registered in degree-granting programs maintain health insurance.
Most students are enrolled automatically in the NYU-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan as part of the course registration process. Students must complete the online enrollment/waiver process each academic year beginning in the fall to ensure that they are:
- enrolled in the plan of their choice
- supplement their current insurance with an NYU-sponsored plan
- or waive the NYU-sponsored plans.
- If you have any questions about insurance services email [email protected] or call 212-443-1020.
- If you have any questions about SHC payments, please contact at [email protected] or 212-443-1010.
Counseling & Wellness Services (CWS)
The Counseling and Wellness Services (CWS) can help with any mental health concerns you might experience, including stress, anxiety, alcohol or drugs, eating, depression, family issues, suicidal thoughts, and more.
They offer non-judgmental, and confidential assistance with:
- Individual Counseling (Short-term Counseling and Drop-in Counseling)
- Group Counseling
- Wellness Workshops (e.g., Anxiety, Sleep, Time Management, Procrastination, Life Skills, Dating, Adulting)
- Study Abroad Consults
- Psychiatric Medication Services
- Relaxation Oasis (Calming Corner, Yoga Room, Mindfulness Resources and more)
Except for psychiatric services, they are provided at no cost.
The Wellness Exchange is NYU's top mental health resource, available 24-hours / 7 days per week.
The Wellness Exchange is your greatest mental health resource at NYU.
Speak with a certified counselor about any day-to-day challenges or health concerns you are facing, including but not limited to medical issues, stress, depression, sexual assault, anxiety, alcohol or drug dependence, and eating disorders. The counselors are available for help even if you are worried about a friend, rather than yourself.
Get in touch with the Wellness Exchange:
- Phone: 212-443-9999 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with international numbers offered at most global sites
- Chat: 24 hours a day in six languages through the Wellness Exchange App for iPhone or Android
- In Person: drop-in hours on the third floor of 726 Broadway
- Email: [email protected] during business hours; responses may take one business day
For more information, visit the Wellness Exchange page.
The NYU Department of Public Safety is dedicated to preserving the safety and security of the NYU community. Assistance is available 24/7.
The Office of Public Safety is committed to ensuring that all members of the NYU community feel safe and secure, regardless of when and where on campus.
The lobby located at 561 LaGuardia Place is open seven days a week, 24 hours a day, with Public Safety Officers available to provide assistance in the event of an emergency.
To address any questions or concerns, Public Safety can be reached by calling 212-998-2222. Add this number to your contacts. It is also located on the back of your NYU ID card.
Safe NYU App
Sexual Assault Prevention and Response
NYU's S.P.A.C.E. (Sexual Misconduct Prevention, Assistance, Counseling, & Education) provides confidential assistance to complainants about sexual misconduct, relationship violence, and stalking. Support includes providing information about resources and options, accompanying a complainant to rape treatment centers, medical services and campus meetings or proceedings.
To learn more about S.P.A.C.E.:
The NYU Center for Sexual Misconduct Support Services can provide confidential assistance to complainants about sexual misconduct, relationship violence, and stalking. Support includes providing information about resources and options, accompanying a complainant to rape treatment centers, medical services and campus meetings or proceedings. Learn below about their resources:
- Resources for Student Complainants
- Resources for Student Respondents
- What to Do After an Incident
- Formally Report an Incident
- Know Your Rights
- Confidentiality and Privacy
NYU Athletic Facilities
Students and athletes at NYU engage in sports and fitness in a variety of ways. NYU has three athletic facilities: the Palladium (PAF) and 404 Fitness in Greenwich Village and the Brooklyn Athletic Center (BAF) on the Brooklyn campus.
If you are a student currently registered for credit bearing courses and cleared by the Office of the Bursar membership to the 404, PAF, BAF is included as part of your tuition package. All you need is your NYU ID for entry.
☛ 404 Fitness
- Address: 404 Lafayette Street, New York, NY 10003
- Activities: Strength training, Cardio exercise, Recreation classes
- Schedule & More Info
☛ Palladium Athletic Center
- Address: 140 East 14th Street, New York, NY 10003
- Activities: Strength training, Cardio exercise, Recreation classes, Swimming, Basketball, Volleyball
- Schedule & More Info
☛ Brooklyn Athletic Center
- Address: 6 MetroTech Center, Brooklyn, NY 11201
- Activities: Strength training, Cardio exercise, Recreation classes, Basketball, Volleyball
- Schedule & More Info
Find more details at gonyuathletics.com to participate in Intramural Sports and special events, sign up for recreation courses and join a club sport.
The Office of Global Spiritual Life at NYU offers students the opportunity to engage in open and authentic conversations about religion and spirituality. Students share their experiences, connect with others, and participate in transformative, multi-faith encounters. Global Spiritual Life offers trainings, tools and experiences that cultivate belonging in order to reclaim the value of love in education and action:
➪ Religious and Spiritual Life
Prayer and meditation rooms are also available across campus, and students can attend various trainings throughout the academic year. Visit this page for more information.
- Bronfman Center for Jewish Student Life, 7 East 10th Street, New York, NY 10003
- Hindu Center at NYU, 238 Thompson Street, Room 366, New York, NY 10012
- Catholic Center at NYU, 238 Thompson Street, Ground Floor, New York, NY 10012
- Islamic Center at NYU, 238 Thompson Street, 4th Floor, New York, NY 10012
For additional information about Religious and Spiritual Life visit the following websites:
- Chaplains' Circle
- Prayer & Meditation Spaces
- Spiritual Life Clubs
- Spiritual Life Trainings
- Spiritual Life Resources for Students
➪ Mindfulness, Meditation, and Yoga
MindfulNYU is the award-winning meditation, mindfulness, and contemplative life initiative that promotes wisdom, compassion, and well-being on campus and beyond. In addition to curating resources that are available online, MindfulNYU hosts daily yoga classes, group meditation, events and mindfulness workshops. Visit this page for more information.
- Meditation Room | MindfulNYU also offers a meditation room, open during our office hours, for individual practice (quiet, seated, upright meditation). During the semester, meditation room hours are Mondays-Thursdays, 9am-7:30pm and Fridays, 9am-5pm. Come by GCASL 486 for quiet, peace, and calm right here on campus.
- Yoga | MindfulNYU offers FREE yoga classes Monday through Saturday, September through December and February through May. These classes are taught by certified, dynamic, and highly experienced teachers from all over the city. Classes focus not just on physical fitness and health but also on connecting to our center and finding peace through meditation-in-movement.
If you have any question please email [email protected].
For inspiration, more detailed information and updates on all of meditation & yoga programs, please check Facebook.
➪ Of Many Institute for Multifaith Leadership
The Of Many Institute for Multifaith Leadership is a pioneering initiative devoted to educating and inspiring religious and spiritual leaders to utilize multifaith dialogue and service as a force for positive social change.
Visit this page for more information.
Food Insecurity Services
The NYU Courtesy Meals Program offers support to matriculated students who need immediate short-term assistance in affording food. To request this service, simply visit any of the locations listed on the NYU Courtesy Meals webpage and ask to speak with someone about Courtesy Meals. Your first request will be granted with no questions asked.
If you are a student and have a question about the NYU Courtesy Meals program, feel free to email [email protected].